Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Georgia Hunters' Guide to Soil Testing

These sweltering summer days in Georgia have us soaking up the sun, but we're already daydreaming about those crisp autumn mornings, when bowhunting season kicks off. As you plan your new food plots for deer, or get ready to revamp last year's, spare a few minutes to test your soil's pH. You'll not only learn the nitty-gritty about your soil, but also save some bucks in the process.

I just got back from the post office, where I sent off my soil test for my new hunting food plot. Last year, I played it by ear and took a wild guess at how much lime and fertilizer to apply. It worked great... for a couple of months before bow season. When the season rolled around, my brassicas, chicory, and clover were a bit on the puny side. The deer didn't seem to mind, though, and promptly munched away at what little food was available. This year, I'm following the planting rules, crossing my fingers for rain, and hoping for a better harvest.

I'm intentionally postponing my planting until late July or even early August, which might be a gamble if we don't get enough rain in late summer. But, with the right soil and a sprinkle of luck, I'm aiming for bigger and better results come September.

Testing soil for food plots is a piece of cake. There are various methods, like instant self-tests you can find at your local farm store. However, nothing beats a legit lab test!

A soil test kit tells you the exact amount of lime and fertilizer needed for the best results, ensuring you don't buy more than necessary. It's a breeze to use and comes with everything you need. You'll receive your results by mail or email within a week, and they're easy to understand.

To test your soil, you can use a boring tool, post hole digger, or an old-fashioned shovel (my go-to on a hot, humid day when I'm rushing to get to the office). Remove the sod and dead matter from three to six spots in your proposed or current food plot area. Dig a few inches down to get to pure soil. In my case, finding soil without pebbles was quite the challenge.

Next, mix the soil samples in a bucket to get a representative cross-section of your food plot's soil composition. Scoop out a small amount and fill the test kit's bag to the indicated "fill" line. Follow the instructions to a T – it's not rocket science.

Sending in your soil test is a cinch. Seal the bag, pop it in a bubble mailer, and head to the post office. Shipping cost me about $10, so the total investment in the test was less than $25. If you have multiple food plots, be sure to test each one separately, as their soil needs may differ.

Now, just sit back and wait for your results. Once they arrive, you'll know exactly what your soil needs for optimal growth of your chosen forages. Most test kits lets you select the specific plants you want to grow, so the lab techs can tailor their recommendations for ideal soil health.

Don't let the inconvenience of a soil test hold you back. It can actually save you money in the long run, especially given the rising cost of goods these days. For instance, a 40-pound bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer that cost $10 last year now runs for $22 at my local farm store. That adds up quickly! And pelletized lime currently costs about $7 a bag. It's not too bad, but why spend an extra $20, $30, or even more on lime you don't need?

So, there you have it, Georgia hunters! With a little humor, some farming wisdom, and a soil test, you'll be well on your way to creating the perfect food plot for those beloved whitetails come bowhunting season. And who knows? Maybe Mother Nature will bless us with a bountiful harvest and a few good laughs along the way. Happy planting!